Monday, July 09, 2007

Where is this place?

Where is this place? You have three guesses.
Taiwan? WRONG. Hint: Keep going west
China? WRONG. Hint: I said go WEST!
United States? BINGO!

This is Flushing, Queens, NY. I took the picture from our hotel room in Sheraton. Once you stepped out of the hotel, it felt like I was in China or somewhere like that. This is amazing! It even smells (that means the air is filled with the stench of garbage and grease) and sounds (Cantonese!) like Asia. 30 minutes of subway ride and you'll be in Manhattan, the New York city most people know.

Steve and I spent 5 days 4 nights in NYC. It was a great trip. I love options, options, options, and NYC is definitely the place for it. Steve had to work on Wed and Thur, so I hung out with Ah Bien. She was kind enough to come all the way from Gales Ferry, Conn. to keep the preggy company. We went to MOMA on Wednesday and the Metropolitan Museum of Art on Thursday. We spent about 3 hours in MOMA and we saw everything, even with time to go browse at the museum design store. We spent 4.5 hours in the Mets and we only managed to browse a quarter of the exhibition. The location of the Mets is wonderful too. It borders the Central Park and located along 5th Avenue in Midtown. Also, the museum is free. The sign of the Admission Fees they posted on the entrance is very misleading. It is just a suggested donation. You don't have to pay anything at all.

We then met up with Linli and her significant other, Andre, for desert and dinner. The mango place they suggested was excellent, especially on a hot and humid summer day. After that, we went to Nyonya for some good M'sian food. I was so full after the meal i could not even move! It was great catching up with Linli, and Andre was so nice and friendly too. I'm so happy for her to have found a great guy! And she looks fabulous now.

On Friday, Steve was done with his training, so we had the day to ourselves. At the second stop of Subway from the 7 line from Flushing, MTA announced that service would be stopped We met up with Udo and Vera at Timesquare for lunch. Udo was as fashionable as usual and always good campany. Only Udo can pull off a red pants with white shirt combo. It's a German thing. Too bad Vera got caught up in the traffic and not to mention that she had a really bad cold.

Saturday was our last day there and we decided to spend the morning having some dim sum. The dim sum place was only across the street from us. After dim sum, Steve wanted to go down to Wall St. to pay hommage to the capital of capitalism and also rubbed the horn of the Bowling Green Bull. There were kids climbing all over the Bull that if you don't pay attention, you could actually miss it.

We had to call it a day and rushed back to the hotel to catch the shuttle to the airport. We made it just on time. Upon sitting down for 10 minutes............... Alas, the ground crew announced the flight will be delayed. 15 minutes later, it was clear that we won't be taking off until 9pm at the earliest. It was 5:30pm then. So, we head to Linli's place to chill and Andre cooked us dinner. What excellent host! Although a delayed flight was never pleasant, but I was actually quite glad it happened this time and we got to see Linli and Andre one more time. Andre also had us tried this yummy Greek goat cheese. I think I'm going to the local Mediterranean grocery store to see if they have them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick 10 said...

Awwww my favourite city EVER!!! I wanna go back...:(
By the way, it's Andreas and not Andre lol :)

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home